Monday, November 24, 2008

Monday Morning Blues

Mondays are really hard to deal with. Not only getting up between 4-4:30 am but having to leave home. This week will not be so bad though. I work Monday and Tuesday and then I drive home! I love the holiday season because I feel like I am finally really home for a while. When we take vacations we are often gone and I don't get that homey feeling.

This weekend was a bit difficult as far as families go. Nothing tragic but slightly upsetting. I try to live in a world where I do not have much drama. I've been there done that and a peaceful life makes me happy.

It all started out when hubby and I went to Yosemite. While there, my sister-in-law wanted pictures. So, a few days after we'd come home I'd sent her a few pictures of the view we'd have from our campsites. Granted two of the campsites are close so the views are the same. I'm not sure what she told her other brother (not my husband) but he's all put out because he feels we've made a decision on a camping location for next August and he was left out. I guess I was supposed to send the pictures to him too(?). Now he is so upset he's not coming for Thanksgiving and doesn't want to be involved in the Yosemite trip next year. Geez....all because I didn't send him picutes? Somehow I feel responsible but I shouldn't.

Then, to top it off my brother has decided during the Christmas break he will go to a timeshare he has reserved. While in normal years that wouldn't be bad but my husband, daughter and I are working hard at cleaning up our mother's house and he's going to take a week long vacation. He was nice enough to ask if we wanted to come too but I made it clear it will be the only chance we have to spend more than one day working on cleaning out our mother's house. Granted he has done a couple of things that helped out. Returning some of her QVC items and taking things to the dump. But the majority of the work has been done by my daughter, husband and myself. I have a feeling after all this situation is done with our mom's estate I'll not be talking with my brother much.

Just got a yahoo message from my daughter. She is going to take her daughter to see Twilight this week. I read the first book and yes, it is a good book but very much geared towards teenage girls. It will be interesting to see if my daughter likes the movie because she hasn't read any of the books. My granddaughter has read all of the books more than once. She just loves the whole series. I laugh because she'd been baptized a couple of years ago and yet she's into the whole Vampire thing. Course, I'd gone through that stage too so I undersand it. I did make her aware not to wear certain jewlery to church because it would be taken the wrong way. She's only 12 and still needs to learn what is acceptable and what isn't.

We are having Thanksgiving dinner at my mom's house in honor of her. I am excited because we will have lots of room! Our condo is pretty small but we can fit 12 people for Thanksgiving dinner. We can always squeeze in 13 also if needed. Hubby will bbq the turkey again this year and I think bbq the pork roast too. We always make too much food so people have something to bring home. It is our one party of the year and we sure enjoy doing it.

One of my specialties now is mashed cauliflower. Yummy...You make them just like mashed taters except with cauliflower. I have learned though to mash them part way in a colander. The cauliflower has so much water you want to get as much out as you can without loosing all the veggie. I usually do about 3 or 4 heads for a large group.

I am waiting for a bill collector to call. This is regarding my mother's credit card. There was a payment protection plan on the account but because her death wasn't "accidental" they will not pay it off. PLEASE!!! Like she asked to die? I swear sometimes I feel like they do these programs just to rip people off...because they do. So now the collection agency will make a "deal". I've gotten the offer letter but I don't want to have it look like a charge off on my daughter's account. My mother had added her on as a user. I guess my motto is...don't do the payment protection unless you plan on being laid off or expect that someone will shoot you.

2 comments:

Intense Guy said...

Enjoy the "This Old House"...sounds like a great way to create a marvelous memory.

Deanna said...

Hi Spacie. This is my first time to your blog. Interesting reading. It is a shame that settling a parent's estate often pulls a family apart. I hope you guys will be able to do everything possible to avoid that happening. Have a great Thanksgiving!